Board index : Toy's Land : Toy Snap & Toy Review

Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38
 Post subject: Re: BeastX's Inner Workings/Mod of 12" figure (HT/Medi/etc)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:29 pm 
XL Sen-Sei
XL Sen-Sei

KP02A body review, and side-by-side comparison with HT's (Noland/Barney Ross/Whiplash) body variant.

Review
1. As suspected by myself and few others, KPA02 is "base on" HT Barney Ross/Whiplash body. A more accurate description is: KP used the base HT body and:
a) Adding sculpt to the exterior ot the torso, abs, arms and legs so that it varies from HT's.
b) The pelvis shape (exterior/function) remains mostly unchanged except the slight shift of the screw holes.
c) The slight changes to shoulder rotation pin that (inadvertently) makes the Arms modular (you can pop it out of the socket).
d) The internals are almost 100% "recast" based on HT's body. Hence, good replacement/swappable parts for HT's bodies.
e) The whole body from the hips/pelvic region to the top of tip of the neck is the same length as the HT's, the upper legs are longer by approx 0.5 cm, while lower legs would be the same/similar to the extended lower legs (together with extended pegs option too) of HT variants, with standard TT lower legs it's approx 1.7cm longer. Proportionally, KP's legs seems too long.

The Good/Improvements:
1. Materials used are of good (preferred) quality. It gives some flexing while materials used by HT are more rigid which tends to break.
2. Thick PVC material used for the upper torso (which brings a weakness). HT's very thin by comparison.

The Bad/Weakness:
1. The far too thick PVC of the upper torso around the rib area, making it like fat build-up in odd places.
2. The knees bent has far too sharp angles jutting out.
3. The base of the neck is rather loose, so adjustment through a screw at the back would alleviate this, but you can't (which will be discuss in "the ugly").
4. Because of the pin design of the shoulders, it would be more prone to be loose, swinging back and forth over-time.

The Ugly:
1) The claims as a complete in-house KP 3D CAD design.
2) Drill out (Stripping) the "philips" screw head of the 3 screws holding the internal torso together, so no typical screw driver can "expose" further internals. Well, it took me all of 5 minutes dremel, to get the screw to be fully functioning again, I appreciate a good mental challenge/obstacle. The QUESTION: Why create such an inconvenience? (I'll leave it at that)

Personal opinions:
KP did recreate a good alternative body (or duplicate body) with some weaknesses and some improvements. Being a retail product this is bound to be dissected to its basic components and be exposed for what it is. I personally disagree with the methods of with the claims made. I would call a square, a square. Be it HT or any other companies expect their products to be dissected with merits/credits to novelty of design.

Note on pics I've used a compact wide angle camera so there will be some perspective distortion.... I could always break out my DSLR with macro-lens
Pictures: Left (KP02A): Right (Noland's body)

Pelvis:
Abdomen:
Upper Torso:
Odd sharp knees:
Arms/shoulder joint:

Proof on concept. The interchangeble parts of KP's and HT's bodies. Note, because of slight difference in sizes you can't by default use Noland's hips and legs on KP02A's pelvis, a minor mod will be needed to do so (as seen, you'll have no problems doing the opposite). Right: Hybrid as indicated by the color. KP's inner neck peg and Arms/Shoulders on Noland's inner & outer upper torso, connected to KP's abdomen which is in turn to Noland's Pelvic and again to KP's hips and legs:

Odin's body: KP02A, (arms' obviously different) this is length/proportion comparison:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:35 pm 
XL Sen-Sei
XL Sen-Sei

Should anyone have interest in the internal body mechanics of the Avatar figure.

Comments: A dissection was performed to repair the shoulder joint. The heavy PVC arms were supported by rather fragile design very similar to standard TT bodies... the thinnest section being just around 2mm in thickness (in my copy) broke:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:46 am 
XL Sen-Sei
XL Sen-Sei

3A's 1/6th scale Halo Reach Carter

A few points:
1. The LEDs used in the arms are most likely rated at 5V.
2. Bicep has ordinary (brighter) LED powered at 4.5V with 3 batteries, 3V with two.
3. All other LEDs are SMLEDs (Surface Mounted LED) powered at 6V from the sockets/electrical points as the 2 CR2032 are in serial. (Weaker brightness). However each electrical points are connected to two SMLEDs in serial as well, each SMLEDs are subjected to 3V.
4. Absolutely no fiber-optics was used, all the LEDs are connected by wires to the point of lighting.

Tips: Arm batteries.

1. Being physical impossible to fit three AG4 (Thickness:2.6mm), you can use AG1 (2.1mm) batteries instead.
2. For quick insertion of the batteries, you can wrap all the three batteries in a cellophane tape, bottom and top exposed, slot it in as a single unit. Few seconds to insert, instead of hours as reviewed by others.

Improvement: Alternate switch.

There's a larger empty space behind the neck, above the battery/circuit compartment, under the rubber suit collar. The 4 white plug connectors, L to R, Left leg, Head, Chest, Right Leg (each supplied with 6V).

Location for the secondary switch:

The PCB is just simple electrical connections/connectors, no resistor or other components.
Points to connect behind the PCB:

A flat switch soldered onto the said 2 points:

1. The switch was just place on top at the "said location" wires snaked down to the opening. The switch could be glued in place though.
2. The original switch remains in off position.
3. Switch on/off lights without opening the back, problem aligning the connector pins to the back cover, reduce/eliminate the need to open the back, new switch remains concealed.
4. Depressing the switch, just press the rubber behind the head/neck.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:16 am 
XL Sen-Sei
XL Sen-Sei

Guide (& Review) to handle HT's 1/6 Amazing Spiderman body/shoulders.

Re: the Big Hoo Ha... MMS179... I'm writing this after 10 minutes of handling/evaluating Spidey's body

Pointers:
1. Though the body is based mostly on a slim TT, there are major differences especially regarding the upper torso, shoulder/clavicle and base of neck region.
This difference is what leads to the shoulder breaking incidences.

2. Unlike the slim TT in which the upper torso is made of hard ABS plastic, the exterior "skin" of the Spidey's upper torso is composed of Soft PVC. It gives the man boobies (pectorals) definition but it only covers the bottom 1/4 of the pectoral, the shoulder mechanism is exposed (not enclosed) in the upper torso. Directly under the suit is the shoulder joint. The ABS torso of the slim TT enclose the joint, it thus limits the joint assemble to not go beyond the enclosure of the torso. On Spidey there's no such limitation there's just the fabric of the suit wrapping around the joint assembly.

Pic: I overlay the location of the soft PVC exterior upper torso (in green) giving the body definition, it of course has internal ABS skeleton where the neck, shoulder, lower torso (and rubbery exterior) attaches to.....

3. The redesigned upper torso actually gives Spidey a broader shoulder than the slim TT.

Pic: Shoulders at the highest position for both figures

4. I suspect the same shoulder assembly of the slim TT is being used...It has approx. max 80 degrees of raising the arm (Pic below).
It's not especially unique to TT bodies. HT actually emphasis on the wrong warning, twisting the shoulder joint on the rolling-pin is far more dangerous.

Handling Spidey to prevent breakage:

Because the joint assembling is exposed just beneath the suit, you'll have to use your thumb and forefinger to hold the shoulder joint assembly (2 halves pressing against the rolling-pin) from moving and twist the rolling-pin joint with your other hand.

Pic: My one pose to show it's possible to touch the head... (hands behind the head pose... not quite in the movie)

Hold the inner shoulder mechanism in place (doted green circles) and rotate the yellow bar (rolling-pin):

Board index : Toy's Land : Toy Snap & Toy Review

Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38